I’ve come up with an idea for an iPhone app which I’m going to implement if I have time. I don’t expect to make any money off this app, and I’m only going to build it for an audience of one – me! But if it works well I’ll see if I can be bothered putting it on the app store.
The app is pretty simple – at a set time each day (i.e. in the morning) it should send me an alert (i.e. a push notification) as to whether I should cycle to work or not.
As a fair weather cyclist, the criteria on whether I should cycle to work or not are:
- Weather – likelihood of rain in the next hour
- Weather – wind direction
- Air quality – pollution levels
- Air quality – pollen count
additional criteria in the future could be:
- Traffic conditions (doesn’t really bother me)
- Tube conditions (i.e. if there’s tube or train delays then you should probably cycle)
Anyway, here’s a mockup of what I want the app to do (using creately.com):